Monday, March 10, 2008

Poor Dishrag...


    I'm going into maternal mode because our fish, Dishrag Wilberforce Thompson, is very sick.  As you can see by the photo, he has a lesion on his side that's rapidly growing.  He also has some kind of light brown fungus on parts of his skin.  I didn't really start to get worried until I put a lamp over his bowl and really took a good look at him.  

    Up until this point I just made stupid jokes about flushing him down the toilet and saying things like, "Well, it's about time he kicked the bowl!".  For some reason, however, my heart really does hurt for him.  God created Dishrag and, while I don't believe he should have the same inalienable rights that I have, I feel terrible that he's in pain.  

    Jim bought him for me last February when I was going through a particularly severe bout of the Baby Bug.  I really didn't think he'd live for more than 4 months but he's a trooper!  He's part of the family even if he doesn't do anything special like fetch or even show affection.  I think he's beautiful.

    Long story short, I'm going to PetsMart tomorrow to see about some medicine for a $5.00 fish. The meds will most likely cost more than he did.  Any fish advice would be appreciated, too.  I guess I'm just doing my part with the dominion that God has given me over the earth's creatures.  :)

1 comment:

The Buczkowski Blog said...

This is the sweetest thing ever! I know how you feel. It is easy to get attached to even a fish. I hope that he gets better... this reminds me of the time our hampsters got into a fight and one ripped open the side of the other one's face and we had to take him to the vet and he had to have surgery.Talk about an expensive hampster. We missed you at dinner on tuesday night.