Monday, October 6, 2008

Good Bye




Did you know that "Good bye" comes from the Middle English parting phrase, "God be with ye"?  It's funny to think that Microsoft PC's and cell phones wish you the blessing of the presence of Almighty God as you log off of their systems... suck-ahs!!

I also love the greeting "Peace be with you" and when the Apostle Paul says "May the peace of God reign in your hearts...".  And, too, when people say, "God bless you", even if it's just after a sneeze.  Although meaningful, these are only the hopes and prayers of fallen people (yes, even the Apostle Paul).  It's not necessarily a sure thing that peace will be with you or that God will in fact bless you.       

However......

In John 14:27, Jesus Christ himself says, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  Not as the world gives do I give to you.  Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid."  It's a sure thing!!  When the Holy Spirit is imparted to us, he teaches us and brings to remembrance all that Jesus taught, which in turn, gives us that peace that passes all understanding!  What a comforting thing, that Jesus doesn't just hope that we'll have His peace - He leaves it here - He gives it abundantly through the ministering of the Holy Spirit!  Yahoo!!

May the peace that comes straight from God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit be with you today. 

4 comments:

Beka Dean said...

i love you, sarj.

jim thompson said...

so good. preach it. you like john commentary? is that where you got that?

dean, sarj will not stick.

Sara said...

yep, kinda... he mentioned the "God be with ye".

GNS said...

It has been a mantra for me for the last 5 years (from the NIV) "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

Transcendent Peace is always with us if we only submit to acceptance.

What a promise.