Friday, October 3, 2008

What The Heck Is a PORK BARREL??


I'm really, REALLY uneducated about politics, economy, and the like.  Beyond the branches of government and the fact that the president lives in the White House, I'm a fish out of water.  Well, maybe not that bad but I really don't want to be an uneducated voter.  I've been frequenting Wikipedia and Google and talking to family and friends as I try to piece together this political puzzle.  


I heard on the news that the "Bailout" was approved and is now on it's way to the House of Reps. today.  Now, I know what a bailout is but not necessarily pertaining to Wall Street.  In my research, I ran across this article.  


If you're interested in a bottom-shelf, unbiased explanation of what has happened and future options and ramifications, it's a good read (although sort of lengthy).  


By the way, the term "pork barrel politics" usually refers to spending that is intended to benefit constituents of a politician in return for their political support.  It is suggested that it is derived from and early practice of giving slaves a barrel of salt pork as a reward and requiring them to compete among themselves to get their share.  Gracias, Wikipedia

No comments: