Thursday, May 28, 2009

Baby-Mama Doctor

Jim, James, and I had an appointment today.  I love our doctor and his simple, small practice.  His staff is so welcoming and sweet and I appreciate the bonus of not having 8 obstetricians on rotation, none of whom I would probably know very well.  His practice is family medicine, obstetrics, and pediatrics all rolled into one happy little hole-in-the-wall building.

Anyway, our visit went very well.  Measurements, blood pressure, heart rate, all of those things were fine.  I had a routine test (I'll spare you the details), and Dr. Stafford quickly checked for "progress".

:: drum roll ::     One centimeter down, nine more to go!  

While this is extremely exciting, it's also well known that mamas can be dilated plenty further than that and still carry their babies around for another month.  It isn't a good indicator at all of when actual labor could start.  BUT it's still wonderful to know that things are moving in that direction!

Dr. Stafford said he was pleased with James' position and that things were looking "fantastic".  He gave Jim his cell phone number, we made our appointment for next week, and off we went!  

I have to admit, it feels a little surreal knowing that my body is initiating the steps toward actual labor and delivery... Lord Jesus, I need you.   :)

Here's a helpful, albeit hilarious, diagram for you:  

8 comments:

Samantha said...

Even after having a baby, the bagel diagram makes me grimace :D

Angel said...

That is the most hilarious cervical dilation chart I have ever seen! Love it!

Just think...3 more centimeters and it's the real thing! Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! Dilation already?! Eek!! And WHOO HOO! all wrapped up in one!

Susan Sene said...

Hooray for Cheerios!!! ;)

Julie said...

I told Shari not to look too closely at the diagram. :)

Candace Donley said...

yay!! The diagram is hilarious!! But is a great picture of what is to come!! :)

The Via Colony said...

That is TOO funny! That feeling of progress...you can't beat it=) Congrats on a GREAT check-up.

Evelyn & Floyd said...

i gotta tell ya, even as a momma already, that diagram is VERY enlightening. I'm not good on guestimating what the 1-10 ratios are like... so that puts it in VERY obvious terms. :)