Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I've Acquired Some New Skills...

Being pregnant requires a new set of skills.  Here are some that I've learned:
  • Falling asleep with only 80% nostril capacity.  (By the way, BreatheRight strips have really helped, but I can't stand the glue on them)
  • Sleeping through a human kicking you in the gut from the inside.  This may not last much longer as his bones and muscles are getting stronger.
  • Completing the entire task of a midnight potty break with my eyes closed.  At least 4 times a night.
  • Heaving my belly out of bed, out of the car, out of any seat, etc.
  • Resting my breakfast on my belly as I eat.
  • NOT losing it as I try to find something to wear.
  • Concentrating on work through enormous kicks and squirms.  That was a tough one.  I would COMPLETELY lose my train of thought when he started his gymnastics.
  • Walking and exercising everyday even though I feel like an elephant.
  • Perfecting neutral and/or polite responses to well-meaning pregnancy advice that I probably will not take.
  • Being teachable and TAKING pregnancy advice from mothers who care about me and have been there.
  • Loving my little bumpkin boy... that one wasn't hard at all

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The nose thing never gets any better? Guess I better enjoy what I've got while I've got it.

Another new "skill" I've apparently acquired is "moaning" while I'm sleeping and keeping my husband awake. According to him, it happens just about every time I breathe -- and I can imagine that would be frustrating to listen to. I've told him that if I'm bothering him, I don't mind sleeping in the guest room, he'll just have to wake me up to ask me to move. But I don't think he has the heart! :(

Julie said...

This cracked me up! Hey, at least you still have your sense of humor intact. By week 39 even that may be gone. :)

Samantha said...

One skill that I acquired while I was pregnant, was trying to be polite when someone asked me how I was doing or feeling, and placed their hand on my tummy too. I didn't like the way they asked how I was feeling...it was as though I were dying or something terrible was about to happen to me. & I didn't like people touching my tummy, just because that's my tummy and I don't want random hands touching it! haha...oh I don't miss those days one bit. =)

Susan Sene said...

cute post - it's been hard for me to perfect the responses to people's comments :) and although strangers have yet to touch my belly, there have been quite a few people I know that I would have rather kept their hands to themselves

The Via Colony said...

All so true, so true=) Cute post!

RosieLayne said...

LOL! I was so there with you- getting to the potty without ever opening my eyes (4-10 times a night...argh!). And oh, the advice. Sometimes you just have to smile. I'm very anti the touching of the growing belly- there should be a shirt out there- Don't Pet the Bump

Sarah said...

My friend's strategy to keep people from touching her baby belly is to hold her arms out and say "this is my personal space bubble" when we're out in crowded public places. Maybe you should try it?