Friday, June 5, 2009

An Unscheduled Ultrasound And Other Exciting Things

Let me take you back to my 34-week appointment with Dr. Stafford.  My mom was in town, so she was with me.  After measuring my abdomen, I saw Dr. Stafford type into my file (it's all electronic and fancy), "A little on the small side.  Will follow."   He apparently didn't find it significant enough to worry me about it, and didn't say anything.  And I've learned along the way to know that just because an abdomen measures small, it usually doesn't mean a thing.

Two weeks later, next appointment.  He measured me and didn't say anything again, so no worries.  

One week later.  (We're at weekly appointments now)  This time he measured me and said, "Well, it's probably no big deal, but your growth has sort of plateaued."  He told us that we'd probably find that I just carry small babies (which is great news for me), but that to rule out an under-nourishing placenta or low amniotic fluid, we should consider an ultrasound.  Knowing Jim's and my plans for birth, he warned us that getting this ultrasound could open the door for them to recommend early induction if in fact the fluid was low.  We asked him what he would do, and he said that it would probably be smart to get the ultrasound since this was my first baby and we didn't have any other pregnancies to compare.  We could worry about induction stuff later, if it even came to that.  We decided to have it done.

Even though Dr. Stafford said he wasn't worried about it, that James' heart rate was great, and that his movements were often and strong - I still felt my heart getting worked up and imagining the worst.  As soon as Jim and I got into the car, we prayed for peace and wisdom... and, boy, did it come!  We are surrounded by amazing friends and family that, instead of working up my tender worry, immediately turned to laying our concerns at the feet of Christ.  

Compared to other news and procedures pregnant mamas have to go through every day, this was really nothing.  I knew that James was moving around plenty and that he was most likely just fine.  

SO - Long story short, we went this morning for the ultrasound and everything WAS fine!  His fluid levels were low average, but not critical (FYI:  Amniotic fluid is supposed to gradually decrease, especially later in gestation.  The only danger comes if it gets too low, and the cord compresses).  His body measured at 37 and sometimes 38 weeks.  And they estimated his weight around 6 lbs. 10 oz. (this is an estimate, because there's really no way to measure his little fat rolls :)  Our relatively small pregnancy freak-out was quickly put at ease and we even got fast results... I don't know why God is so gracious to us.  But I'm thankful.       

6 comments:

Donna C. said...

AMEN to that - so, so thankful.

Susan Sene said...

So glad everything is fine. I'm sure that made you guys nervous...I know anything uncertain for me has the potential to throw me into the depths of worry. God's grace and peace is most certainly wonderful!

Evelyn & Floyd said...

and how fun to get to see your little man one last time in utero before his big debut! awesome! i can't believe how close you are. i realized we're in the forty something days range now and it's CRAZY how fast it's gone by.

Rita said...

So great to hear that everything's still going along great! Not too much longer now!!

Can't wait to "meet" Sweet Baby James! :)

ekoepper said...

Hey girl! So encouraged to hear all is well...God laid you on my heart several times throughout today, so James' future wife and I said several prayers for you & your little man :) So good to talk & see you guys last night.

The Via Colony said...

I'm so glad that everything is alright! It's so hard not to worry though, especially if it is your first, like your Dr. said and you don't have anything to compare it to. Plus, you got the added blessing of seeing that little guy one last time before his grand entrance=)