Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Death is Life

I don't mean to be morbid, but I think about death a lot.

I'm not frightened by it. Well... maybe a little frightened by the pain that might come, but really, I'm not scared. Every time I get on an airplane (mostly because of the sheer ridiculousness of flying) I think to myself, "Yep, I'm ready to go."

I've thought about it more recently because of this Life that happened named James. Jim and I have talked some about what would occur if one or both of us died. We've purchased life insurance, yada, yada, yada. More interestingly, though, we've decided how we want our bodies interred.

I want to be cremated. It's cheap, quick, and requires a lot less makeup. I'd like for my ashes to be put in an earthenware jar and buried in a plot next to Jim. On my headstone, I want part of Psalm 16:11 engraved,

"... In your presence there is fullness of joy ..."

Yesterday, I came home and told this to Jim and he cried. He really liked it, thought it was beautiful. Today, he came home and said, "Sweetie, I know what I want on my headstone..."

"... and at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."

The rest of my verse.

Needless to say, we had an sweet, sweet moment clutching each other and crying in the driveway. Death has no sting at the Thompson house.

7 comments:

Donna C. said...

No sting at the Thompson house, but Dundor is crying at the Craft house. You two need to stop being so beautiful and wonderful.

cindy cope said...

beautiful ... that's all i can say!

michael craft said...

I was being completely serious on my facebook when I said I want my body cremated and then flung from a trebuchet into the ocean.

Dad, Matty, Jim, and Jeremy are charged with constructing the trebuchet and conducting the launch.

J.E. said...

I haven't read your blog in months, but I did tonight. This moved me. Thanks for being so real with your words and HIS!

Angel said...

Brought tears to my eyes! So beautiful!!

Stephen and Tara said...

Ahh so sweet!

gracelaced said...

Oh to be heaven-ward. My heart is blessed. Thanks.