Friday, October 9, 2009

Lord of the Lullabies

Jim and I are currently in the throes of sleep training with James. He's actually sleeping pretty well, but still waking up 3 or 4 times a night. I love Dr. Wiessbluth's book, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. The content has been very practical and changed the way I watch James' sleep cues, etc.

Right now we're mainly focusing on getting some good solid naps during the day in order to fulfill the "sleep begets sleep" adage. We've also constructed a pretty happy sleepytime routine. Here's how it goes:
  • No later than 7:30 pm (if we can help it), it commences.
  • James receives a nice, full meal
  • A bath, if needed
  • Next, a clean nighttime diaper (i.e., the expensive brand)
  • A baby lotion massage to the tune of Trust and Obey, which he LOVES
  • A rock in the Royal Recliner as Daddy plays The Most Beautiful Lullaby I Have Ever Heard. Ever.
Seriously, within a few chords James' eyelids are already starting to drop. I especially love the way that we gauge where James is in the sleeping process. It goes, "eyes still open, rolling back in his head, cross-eyed, or completely closed". I try to get him in the crib around cross-eyed so he's not in a deep sleep. We also wait to hear a few good sighs.

That all sounds pretty intricate but tonight it only took about 15 minutes, not including bath time. It seems to be working pretty well, but tomorrow is always SUCH a different day...

2 comments:

Sarah G said...

I think I would like to be put to bed with James' bedtime routine. Sounds perfect and relaxing. I read the book Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child after you told me about it. It is working well for us so far. So THANK YOU!!!

The Via Colony said...

Good luck little James. A full night's sleep sure makes a world of difference, I hope you get it soon;)