Monday, February 15, 2010

Gory Romance

Jim gave me one of the sweetest Valentine's Day: roses, cooked a spaghetti dinner (dude, he makes the BEST spaghetti sauce), called a sitter, and took me to a movie.

We initially wanted to see Sherlock Holmes, but it had just left the theaters. We didn't really want to see the most likely formulaic Valentine's Day, so we decided on The Book of Eli.

I didn't know much about this flick going into it, but it ended up being just okay. I like ol' Denzel and the idea for the movie was pretty interesting to me. But, honestly, it fell pretty flat. If you are going to see this movie, you should also know that it's pretty graphic. Nasty. I hate gratuitous violence and I can especially do without torture scenes (not really any torture in this movie, though). Which brings me to my story.

Let's just say Denzel's character is supremely efficient at "opening up a can" with his crazy Japanese sword/machete thing. I really did cover my eyes multiple times so I wouldn't have to watch hands and feet and noses flying across the screen, with blood so cinematically trailing behind. I had to laugh, though, because with each gory scene, Jim would lean over and say, "Oh, sweetie, I love you so much." or, "Happy Valentine's Day, muffin". Hilarious.

What outraged me was the family that snuck in a quarter of the way through the movie and sat behind us WITH THEIR 6 YEAR OLD. Not only was it way past any 6 year old's bedtime, but this movie was NOT even appropriate for me, much less those tiny eyes... ::sigh::

Anyway, I think next year we'll just snuggle up on the couch with some popcorn and Saving Private Ryan.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There should be a licensing class for parenthood.

I digress.

Anonymous said...

Also, YAY for dates!

Daniel Thompson said...

May I suggest a romantic viewing of Shindler's List? It's already in black and white... or maybe American History X?

There's two ways to look at 'Eli', one is a decent post apocalyptic thriller or the best Christian film ever made, and it definitely is decidedly both of those...

Ruth@GraceLaced said...

HAHAHA. This is so funny. Cuz it happens to us too! My hubby was caught up with 24 for awhile. Haven't seen Eli. I don't know if I can handle it! AND--I fully agree about little kids in movies. I felt sick to my stomach after seeing Dark Knight (feeling a bit ill myself) and then seeing little ones walk out of there. Sad.

ruth@gracelaced
www.gracelaced.com