Thursday, July 29, 2010

To my Rosetta Stone...

Today marks Jim's and my 4th wedding anniversary. Four years is barely a molecule part of a drop in the bucket. While I feel like we've just begun, I also wonder how I could know him any more closely.

(Although today he asked which I liked more: Pepsi or Coke and I said, "I like both, but probably Pepsi." To which he replied in disgust, "Who are you??")

I could list ad infinitum the wonderful things that I love about him, but I'll spare you...

Instead, just one.

He's in there, poring over his stacks of resources and writing his book. He's manipulating each of his thoughts so that they're the most clear and concise for the reader. He cares so deeply for his students. He cares so much for his family. For his son. For me. He cares enough to teach.

And right now, in this minute, that's what I love about him.

* * * * *
Here's an inscription we stumbled upon in the jacket of a used Greek New Testament. An intimate treasure. A glimpse of the gratitude that I have for Jim's gifts of intellect, insight, and the ability to convey them.

You are my Rosetta Stone

making the unintelligible understood

turning shapes into signposts

bringing order out of chaos

You have deciphered my confusion

Revealed his language

And we have filled the voids

with His presence

God be with you, Mary

Stuart

Chills, right??? Love you, my Babel.



No comments: