Friday, October 17, 2008

Just So You Know...

Color me stupid, but also remember that this is the first election that I've ever voted in.  I tried to vote in the local election but had moved and failed to update my info... arrived at the booths and was turned away.  But don't worry, my information is all up to date now.  

I only realized in the past 6 months that I would see more candidates than just Obama or McCain on my ballot.  I know, this is most likely common knowledge but, again, first-timer here.  Now I realize that no matter what, unfortunately, our next president will in fact be one of these men.  There are 4 other candidates though!  And you've probably only heard their names in passing... MAYBE.  Did you realize that there is an African American woman running for president in this election??  And have we heard anything significant about her in the media??  

Granted, these are all Independent/Green Party/no affiliation candidates but it just seems so wrong that thousands of "everyday" voting citizens are will look at their ballots on Nov. 4 and see these other names that they probably will know nothing about and say to themselves "Okay, McCain or Obama?"  

My cousin, Gabe, opened my eyes to this injustice.  Forgive my naive, ill-educated political self, but it just doesn't seem fair.  These other candidates are doing all the same work that Obama and McCain are doing but because their campaigns aren't as wealthy and they choose to not affiliate with the "powers that be", they are pushed to the wayside will most likely never be represented in the Oval Office.  Maybe they never should be, but how would I know?  So here's my part... just so you know:


From L to R:  Ralph Nader, Robert L. Barr, Jr., Cynthia Ann McKinney, and Charles O. Baldwin

Go here to read more about each candidate.


No comments: