Thursday, October 16, 2008

All Fish Go To Heaven...

As I left the house this morning, I stopped to say goodbye to Dishrag.  There was no response.  Here is what I saw:



Of course I tapped, I knocked, I swished, I poked, I even cried out to him ... to no avail.  

As you may remember, Dishrag has had his close calls in the past.  A few weeks ago, he suffered a tragic, almost fatal, fall onto the kitchen counter during his bowl cleaning.  I think he just never fully recovered.

I had noticed his color fading and I've been putting the medicine from the previous illness in his water, but I it was just too late.  He's gone to that Great Fishbowl in the Sky.

I called Jim to break the news.  After the initial shock had abated he sighed and said, "Well, leave him there, I want to flush him together."  What a sweet, sweet man.

He gave Dishrag to me in February of 2007 - actually not as long as most Betas typically live, but he had a full life.  He moved with us, spent holidays together, even went to camp for a week with us.  

So long, Dishrag.  You've been a faithful friend.   

3 comments:

Katie said...

So Sad. I know he will be missed.

Andrew Lewis said...

That is sad. You have a good husband, though.

Sara said...

it's so true... he's really supportive in this time of grief