Sunday, November 16, 2008

Girls and Their Daddies

"Women learn from their mothers what it means to be a woman, and from their fathers the value that a woman has -- the value they have as a woman."  -Stasi Eldredge

She also speaks of the "twirling skirts" of little girls.  Let me share this warm-fuzzy memory that I have of my Daddy, who I believe consciously tried to show me my value as a girl/woman.

My Mama used to wear crinkle skirts like these all the time... cool, comfy, and gorgeous.
When I was 4 or 5, I would pull one of Mama's skirts on up to my arm pits and make my grand entrance to the living room of our mobile home.  Daddy would be there waiting with his guitar.  I would sache to my spot and we would begin our dance - the Dance of the White Star.  He would pick on his guitar and I would twirl and dance, with my heart full of pure bliss because my Daddy - the most important man on earth - was delighting in me.  Every few measures, we would say together in breathy and whimsical tones ".... white ... staaaar!"  It was so silly, but so perfect.  

As I grew older, he consistently told me that I was beautiful - even when acne struck or I was going through that oh-so-loathed awkward middle school age.  At those times I would roll my eyes but I know that my heart was soothed and comforted.  In high school, I would try to leave the house "scantily clad" (his words) and he would just look at me and say, "If you troll for bottom-feeders, that's what you're gonna get, my Sara".  Ugh!  Da-aad!  Don't you know this is IN STYLE?!?  Oh, but how right he was...

Even on my wedding day as we stood, just the two of us, ready to go down the aisle with all of the crazy preparations at a holy halt, he said, "My Sara, so beautiful."  

So here I am, again, so thankful for the parents that God gave me and praying with gusto that my Heavenly Father will cause and enable us to be that for our *could be* little princess.

3 comments:

Donna C. said...

We are so blessed to have you. What a gift you are to us.

Beka Dean said...

i know it's hard to believe: i'm crying. love every word written by you, my dear friend. i can't wait to turn your "could be" little princess into one helluva ball player! :) love ya.

jim thompson said...

white star!!!