Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I Never Did Get To Share This:

One of my students gave me this ornament today:
How awesome?!

She also gave me a pregnancy/memory calendar where you can record fun things about your pregnancy, cravings, dr.'s appointments, ultrasound pictures, etc... so fun.  There's one section where you write about how you found out you were pregnant and I realized that I had not shared this little tidbit with the blogosphere!  It must be remedied!  So here's my story:

Wednesday, September 15, 12:00 pm - I knew that I was about a week late, but that was pretty normal for my abnormal self.  I had already spent an arm and a leg on pregnancy tests since June every time my stomach was queasy or I had heartburn (which is so silly because my Crohn's disease yielded plenty of that).

2:00 pm - I started having really weird cramps, and sort of felt sad, telling myself, "Well, not this month..."

2:30 pm - Went for a walk around the neighborhood to alleviate the cramps.  They weren't severe but, like I said, completely different than run of the mill "syndrome" cramps.  As I walked, my prayer went like this:  "God, please quiet my heart and allow me to just be patient with this whole baby thing - I know it will happen when YOU want it to, and that may be never... but Lord, I just feel like I am!"  No sooner had these words passed through my little brain, a huge blue jay landed RIGHT next to me on a fence - Seriously, like 3 feet away - And sang his ever-livin' head off at me!  It startled me so much and he was so close that I decided right then and there that blue jays don't normally do that.  I know it sounds cliche and sappy, but I think that blue jay was just for me.

4:30 pm - Jim came home from work and I told him about my walk and my cramps (cramps can actually be a sign of early pregnancy).  He simply said, "So go get a test."  You better believe my prayers of "God-quiet-my-heart-and-make-me-patient" flew right out the window!      

4:45 pm - That double line came up so fast, I thought I was seeing things!  Jim and I took turns looking at the box to make sure that meant positive.  For the next 20 minutes I kept saying, "What if it really happens?  What if it really happens?"  We hugged and cried (well I did anyway) and then I had about 6.5 seconds of pure terror:  "Oh man, there's no turning back.  Our lives are going to be completely altered forever."  But of course, Jim was there to say, "Yeah, sweetie, altered... but I don't think we'll want to go back."

So there it is... such a happy day.  :)        

6 comments:

Susan Sene said...

Love that ornament! I'd love to know where to find them...and the other fun thing you were talkin about....congrats!

Julie said...

What a fun story! Thanks for sharing it. Oh, and I had one of those pregnancy/memory books with Judah and LOVED it. I still like to read back through it now. :)

Beka Dean said...

BLUE JAY = MANNA

i can't wait to meet the little plum!

The Via Colony said...

First of all, I had no idea you had/have (?) crohn's disease? I have had so many friends with that, including my sister-in-law, and I hope all is well with that.
Second, the $1 store pregnancy tests work! This is the first pregnancy I actually tried them and they def. don't show up earlier than the day of your first missed period but they DO work. In fact, when I went in to our doctor they had to "confirm" my pregnancy the test they used looked identical to the $1 store one I had just taken=) So, for future reference...
Third, what a sweet story. I don't think the blue jay part was sappy. God can speak to us in many different ways=)

Jennifer said...

Ahhh...that was so sweet! You made me cry! I remember when I found out I was pregnant! Just cherish those pregnant days! The baby will be here before you know it, but there is nothing like holding your child for the first time! Haleigh is 6 months old and it still doesn't seem real!

Ruth@GraceLaced said...

sara--you are pregnant! it's been so long since i've gotten to blog surf...i didn't even know! congrats, and may the Lord preare your heart and mind for the days ahead!