Thursday, December 4, 2008

Yet Another Biological Post...


So I had a rough day today... wasn't able to keep much food in my stomach, left work early, and was very disheartened because I thought the nausea was behind me.  By the afternoon, however, I perked up, ate a bunch, and cleaned the house like crazy.

I also started reading my book, Active Birth.  It's a great book with yoga exercises and positions for birth that lessen pain and speed up labor... I'm all for that!  We've also signed up for Bradley Birth classes.  It's a 12 week, in-depth birthing course.  Robert Bradley wrote a book called Husband Coached Childbirth.  I really like the idea of Jim being involved as much as he can in the whole process. 

Jim and I have decided (insurance and financial nonsense pending) to use a midwife birthing center.  We've done a lot of research and there's still much more to do, but really feel like it's the way we want to go.  I don't hug trees or think doctors are the devil, I just want to be able to give birth in a quiet place where I can move around freely, eat and drink, and not be hooked to a machine giving me drugs that I probably don't really need in order to birth my child.  My mom gave birth to all 3 of us, drug free and I just want to give it my best shot.  I also have NO IDEA how much pain this is going to be, and don't pretend to... just trying to make good decisions.  I don't think any less of a woman that chooses a different way because that's the beauty of our culture:  we have tons of options that were not available before.  All that to say, we're praying for wisdom and welcome any advice that you may have, reserving the right to "take it or leave it"  :)  

3 comments:

Julie said...

Sorry you were feeling sick today ... hey, I was too! :( I am reading a great pregnancy book this time around that I recommend: Body, Soul and Baby. I don't agree with everything the author says, but she has a fantastic, whole-person approach to pregnancy/birthing. Also, my cousin delivered her second at a birthing center using "hynobirthing" and she swears by it, said it was an amazing experience. I can get you her email address if you want to learn more.

Katie said...

I am all for the midwife, birthing center idea. My mom had all four of us with no drugs. It must not have been too bad, or she would have stopped at 1. My sister took the Bradley classes with her first two. She and her husband really enjoyed the classes, and she was able to have her first with no drugs.

The Via Colony said...

You are a BRAVE woman! You'll do great. Josh's mom gave birth to 4 of their 5 kids with no drugs and she says she still enjoyed every minute of it.

Sorry you had a rough day=( I was sick until week 24 with Rainy and off and on with Zeke. I'd just sick at random times with him but for the most part after the first tri-mester the sickness eased off tremendously. There's still hope!