Saturday, September 26, 2009

I realize I'm taking it out of context...

I'm trying (and promptly failing) to read through the Psalms with James. I started about a month ago and we just read Psalm 3 today. He's going to be 30 by the time we finish.

Anyway, I want him to feel the rhythm of each musical piece, and of course hear the soul affective Word of God.

It's incredible the verses that stand out to me now that James has come and rearranged our lives. For example:

I've been mildly concerned about James maybe having torticollis. (Jim would probably argue with 'mildly') I just noticed that when he's on his tummy, he only looks up to the left - never up to the right. When sitting, he also cocks his head to the right and does NOT like it when I try to cock it the other way. We're going to doctor on Wednesday, and even if it is torticollis, there are lots of exercises that will fix the tight muscle. I HAVE to turn off the ever-active-Mama-worry part of my brain.

All that to say, verse 3 yelled at me this morning:

"But YOU, O Lord, are a shield about me (and James), my glory, and the LIFTER OF MY HEAD." He's got this one, Sara. He knows about James' little neck...

Also, on the other side of this recent growth spurt, Jim and I have been pining for some consistent sleep. Finally, last night James slept from 10 pm until 5 am. And then again until 8 am. I swear I heard angels singing.

Again, verse 5 was relevant:

"I lay down and slept; I woke again, for the Lord sustained me."

These probably sound silly, and I know I'm taking them way out of the context in which they were written, but today, in the middle of my new little world, they were a balm to my soul. It's just reviving to know that God is there and knows all things.

2 comments:

Brandon said...

I don't know if I was ever officially diagnosed with that turtle disease, but my mom has always told me that my head was cocked to the right until I was 2 or 3... and I turned out fine... its still easier, though, to lean my head to the right than it is to the left... I also find it funny that the picture illustrating the disease on the wikipedia page is of a guinea pig...

Stephen and Tara said...

My son perferred one side of his head for his first few months. I even took him to a chiropractor who works with babies just to make sure his neck was ok. Everyone told me it was fine but to just try and get him to turn his head the other way with noises and other things that would get his attention.

Funny, something I had been concerned about back then I had totally forgotten about until right now. :) So hopefully it will be fine.