Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Nursing To Go

A Facebook poll about public breast feeding caught my attention this morning. (Yep. You, Katie :) This led me to a Google search to find out the laws that allow James to partake in meals on the run. The results made my day!
  • First of all, SC Law provides that a woman may breast feed her child in any location where the mother is authorized to be and that the act of breast feeding is not considered indecent exposure.
  • 12 states exempt breast feeding mothers from jury duty.
  • Puerto Rico requires airports, shopping malls, and other public places to provide clean, private areas that ARE NOT bathrooms for breast feeding mothers.
  • Maryland exempts any breast feeding product (pumps, etc.) from sales tax!
Ultimately, I feel like it's MORE than polite to use a cover up and that mothers should use their good judgment and discretion as to the tone and context of their surroundings. Let's try not be militant, bra-burning booby flashers out there.

P.S. A friend of mine wrote a blog post about an nasty run-in with a rude, anti-public-feeding lady... I hope this helps, H.J.

2 comments:

jim thompson said...

so good... you forgot to mention that public breast-feeding is ENCOURAGED at waffle house!

Katie said...

I'm glad I could inspire a blog post.