Monday, November 9, 2009

Oh Well...

I've mentioned before of my bout with Crohn's disease. Not a terrible case, but enough to alter my diet and lifestyle slightly. During pregnancy, however, my hormones kicked the Crohn's symptoms to the curb and I was able to enjoy (within reason) many of the foods that I'd abandoned. Not to mention a pain-free abdomen... traded that for fetal kicks to the ribcage.

Well about two weeks ago, the symptoms returned. It started with that familiar, sharp pain in my upper belly (it's pretty much contained in my duodenum and ileum. That's the part that connects your stomach to your upper intestine). Nothing gut-wrenching and definitely not the 103 degree fevers that wracked my body in 2005 when I was diagnosed. Just little, annoying whispers that mocked, "Didja miss me??"

More than the pain, I've lost waaay too much weight. I know that mothers pine and work really hard to lose pregnancy weight, but please hear me when I say that this cost outweighs the benefits. Here I am with not even a pair of PRE-pregnancy pants that fit me. All too big. And I just feel ill.

I've been advised to stop nursing James. Obviously, nutrients go to him first and I'm left with the scant leftovers that my body has a hard time absorbing to begin with. I'm by no means against putting James on formula. I know he'd be fine and has gotten so many of the breast milk benefits in his early infancy. But before I took that step, I wanted to talk to my doctor.

He said to try an extremely high-calorie diet before I stopped nursing. We talked about what I eat day to day and, frankly, it's just not enough. Plus, the Crohn's is so weak right now that it probably isn't even the primary cause of my weight loss.

All that to say, I'm chugging Ensure drinks and adding lots of butter and olive oil to everything I eat. Flaxseed powder is going in my sauces and lots of peanut butter and cheese is on the menu. After a month, we'll re-evaluate and see if weaning is necessary. I'm praying it's not. Nursing is free and easy and readily available.

I know, it's weird to hear of a weight-gain diet... and while it might sound like fun, Krispy Kreme doughnuts are not on the menu.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with eating all the fattening stuff you want!

All joking aside, I really do hope the new diet works for you. You're right! Nursing is just _too_ easy -- and too good for the baby!

Helen Joy said...

I really hope that it helps and you can continue to nurse:-(
My cousin has crohns and wouldn't trade feeling good for a skinny body any day:-(
I hope you feel better!

Julie said...

Oh Sara, I'm so sorry. :( I have had to stop nursing both of my kids early because of various reasons, and both times it was such an emotional decision. You're right ... James would be fine on formula, but I do hope this works out for you.

Donna C. said...

I think Krispy Kreme SHOULD be in your diet - what's he thinking? You're very wise my honey.

The Via Colony said...

I really hope this new diet works for you. For your health, for James' health and for your wallet=) Sorry you've been feeling so bad...

The Buczkowski Blog said...

Wow this does not sound fun...If for some reason you do need to resort to formula, you need to go ahead and sign up with enfamil, publix baby club, similac, and good start so that you can start getting the coupons for formula... That way I can help you get really good deals on formula :) They take a while to start getting the coupons so that is why I say start now... The coupons last for months, but that way you would have them just in case. Just a thought. I hope this improves for you.

GNS said...

Avocados are full of healthy fats. Salmon filets too if you can eat the skin. I really hope and pray you will be able to keep nursing James and that you will feel better too. Love you!

thesandifers said...

Hope you feel better soon! Does milk upset your stomach? Chick- fil-a milk shakes are like 750calories each. Not to mention, incredibly yummy.