Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Successful Substitution!

In continuation of the Tuna Saga (see below), I thought I'd relay the details of my lunch experience today.  

During my grocery trip this morning, I stood before the canned meat section for a solid 6 minutes in utter frustration.  What would satisfy my longing for tuna!?  The taste is so specific.  So distinct.  Canned chicken, albacore, sardines, and potted beef (ugh) were staring me down.  Even herring filets caught my attention for a few contemplative seconds.  I thought, though, of how Jim may react to its lovely odor and quickly decided against it. 

I ended up choosing a 3-pack of canned chicken and a can of pink salmon.  I had never had canned salmon and since it was a little pricey, decided to just try one can.

I prepared my salmon exactly the same way:  just real mayo and sweet relish.  As I mixed it together, I felt a bit of resentment toward my beloved tuna.  "Oh, tuna!  Why did you have to be so darn high in mercury!  You have ruined my lunch routine!  Now I'm stuck with this pasty, flavorless canned salmon!"  

I reluctantly spread it on whole grain toast... coupled with yogurt covered pretzels, an apple, and V8 fruit juice - it was DELICIOUS!  Definitely a more subtle taste, but nonetheless satisfying and fulfilling.  I ate it on our back porch, listening to the bees hum.  

Salmon, you're alright.  I think we're gonna be okay.

3 comments:

Susan Sene said...

Haha I love your descriptions of your thoughts and emotions. I'm glad you found a good substitute!

GNS said...

And Salmon is a really healthy food for your little one. I have been eating a good bit of fresh salmon. It is very cheap here. We don't eat a lot of meat so I have been getting my protein from salmon and tofu. I'm hoping its giving our little one good brain power! :) Glad you found something to satisfy your craving! :)

The Via Colony said...

HAHA!!!